Thursday, March 5, 2009

Whodathunkit?

Ever have anyone ask where you'd see yourself in ten years? Maybe it was on one of those emails that bounce around or maybe it was during a job interview or maybe it was just something a friend asked you. We all have heard it from our parents at one time or another. Anyway, this question came to me the other day as I was kneeling outside at 6 am in below zero weather picking frozen horse apples out of the bunk feeder.

If asked that question ten years ago I would have never come up with that specific answer. Not a chance. Ten years ago I never really thought we'd own our own farm. The dream was there, but it was just a dream at the time. We've somehow managed to make this dream come true, and with that dream has come all sorts of interesting happenings.

Why do my horses poop in the bunk feeder? They eat from it, thereby keeping their back ends pointed away from the bunk. At what point do they feel it's a good time to turn around and use the feeder as a depository? Cleaning out the frozen turds isn't a hard job, but they all stand there looking at me with what I'm positive is silent amusement.

And while we're at it, why do horses poop in the water tank in winter but not in summer? Why do they do it when the water tank is full, and why do they do it on the coldest days? Again, they stand there looking down at me, sniffing every bailed bucket of dirty water and crinkling their noses at it.

Why do horses break things? If I just built it, it's sure to get broke. But if it's already old and broke, they won't look twice at it. If I'm fixing it, why do they think they are helping by snatching tools from my back pockets and running of with them to show their friends?

I guess that's just all part of the dream. One thing is for certain however: If asked where I see myself in ten years, I'm sure I'll still be picking frozen horse apples out of the bunk feeder.

1 comment:

CTG Ponies said...

They certainly do the darnest things!

My white pony absolutely loves to wallow in the mud. She'll be pink from the wet clay in the spring and green from the grass in the summer.