Friday, January 4, 2008

Christmas

Another fun-filled Christmas season came and went. This year was no more and no less exciting than years in the past. Face it, when you have dysfunctional families on both sides, it's bound to be an adventure.

There's always the logistic dilemma about who goes where when. At times this can seem like the Most Important Decision Of The Year. With split families, divorced parents, and siblings scattered to the wind, it's tough to find that one magical day when all of the planets align and all of us can get together. Can be quite a drama. My idea always falls on deaf ears: If you can't be here, I get your presents. Never seems to gather much support.

I'm Grinchy. I'm not a big fan of holidays in general. They feel too forced. If you can't get together as a family on any of the other 360 days of the year, then why bother with the charade and the fake smiles and the make-believe howdy-do's. But it's a tradition. So we do it.

I could go on about the depths of dysfunctionality, but that'll just work me up into a lather and I don't need that on a Friday. Bath day isn't until Sunday.

I need to devise a new way of handling the holidays. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know of them. One thought was Vegas. That may be just the medicine I need.

No comments: